Eşen Çayı

Vous pouvez partager vos connaissances en l’améliorant (comment ?) selon les recommandations des projets correspondants.

L’Eşen Çayı est un petit fleuve au sud-ouest de la Turquie appelé aussi Koca Çayı (en turc : très grande rivière). Ce fleuve s’appelait Xanthe pendant l’antiquité. L’essentiel du cours de ce fleuve est dans la province de Muğla et dans la plaine d’Eşen (en turc : Eşen Ovası). Son cours supérieur est appelé Seki Çayı du nom du village de Seki. Son cours inférieur fait la limite entre le district de Fethiye de la province de Muğla et le district de Kaş de la province d’Antalya. Comme d’autres fleuves de Turquie l’accumulation des alluvions a créé une plaine côtière la plaine de Kinik (district de Fethiye). La cité antique de Xanthe, sur la rive gauche du fleuve, proche de Kinik est maintenant à 8 km du rivage. Le site du Létoon est sur sa rive droite du fleuve à quelques kilomètres en aval de Xanthe.

Pilot (Warehouse 13)

Pilot“ is the first episode of the Syfy series Warehouse 13. It first aired July 7, 2009, and was written by Brent Mote, Jane Espenson, and David Simkins and directed by Jace Alexander.

At a Washington, D.C. museum, Secret Service agents Myka Bering (Joanne Kelly) and Pete Lattimer (Eddie McClintock) clash over plans for a Presidential visit; Myka is extremely organized, rigid, and by-the-book, while Pete is more flexible and receptive to the „vibe“ of a situation. A curator cuts his finger on the crystal teeth of a carved stone head called an „Aztec Bloodstone“ and is soon possessed by it. Later noticing a steady trickle of blood coming from the Bloodstone, on instinct Pete removes it from display. Myka dramatically thwarts the zombie-like curator’s knife attack of the President (actually an attack on the Mexican Ambassador’s daughter, as the „Bloodstone“ craves virgin sacrifices) as Pete is confronted by a man who knows his name and disappears with the Bloodstone in a flash of light. Pete is temporarily suspended pending investigation into his strange story, but later visited by the mysterious Mrs. Frederick (C. C. H. Pounder), who orders him to report to particular coordinates for an extended special assignment. Arriving at an isolated government warehouse in South Dakota, Pete finds a flummoxed Myka close behind him. They are welcomed to Warehouse 13 by Artie Nielsen (Saul Rubinek), the man who had taken the Bloodstone. Artie explains that they will be joining him as „gatherers and protectors of secrets“—specifically, empowered and potentially dangerous objects both stored in the warehouse and located out in the world and in need of retrieval. Pete is somewhat intrigued by what Artie calls „America’s attic,“ while Myka feels she is „too valuable to be wasted“ at such a task.

While Myka and Pete’s former boss Daniel Dickenson (Simon Reynolds) is trying to figure out how to get them back, Artie sends the agents to investigate a report of domestic abuse in Seever City, Iowa which he believes may be connected to an item. The agents meet University of Southern Iowa law student Cody Thomas, being held for assaulting his girlfriend; during questioning, Cody begins speaking 15th century Italian and flies into a rage. The Renaissance professor who translates his words is driven to suicide, and Cody’s godmother and lawyer Lorna Solliday (Sherry Miller) reveals Cody’s girlfriend Emily as the reason. Myka and Pete see a jeweled comb on Lorna, who suddenly tries to kill them. An unconscious Myka sees a vision of her deceased lover Sam Martino (Gabriel Hogan) before she awakens. Artie determines that the comb had once been owned by Italian schemer Lucretia Borgia, and possesses „twisted desires“ which will drive everyone around it to violence. Myka and Pete manage to stop Lorna and retrieve the comb. After meeting Mrs. Frederick, Dickenson gives Myka a choice: she can stay in South Dakota or return to Washington, but Pete must stay at Warehouse 13 either way. Myka stays.

„Pilot“ marked the first series debut after SyFy changed its name from The Sci Fi Channel. „Pilot“ was produced by Universal Cable Productions. Development of the series began in 2005, and a number of people worked on the pilot, with multiple versions of the script, before a version credited to Mote, Espenson and Simkins was ordered in October 2007. The pilot for Warehouse 13 was Eddie McClintock’s 10th pilot. The previous nine were unsuccessful. Warehouse 13 is the first series where McClintock has received top billing, although he was the lead in two unsuccessful pilots. Showrunner Jack Kenny feels that roles are partially defined by their actor, and that writer Simkins „in crafting the pilot, I think really made it a nice fit for Jo and Eddie to slip into these parts and Saul as well.“

The opening museum scenes were shot at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto.

„Pilot“ was the most-watched cable show on its night, with 3.5 million viewers. This earned Syfy its third best premiere, after Stargate Atlantis and Eureka. Joanne Ostrow of The Denver Post described it as „X-Files light, with the bickering Scully and Mulder stand-ins going off on Indiana Jones-style adventures.“ IGN reviewer Ramsey Isler gave „Pilot“ a positive review, but felt that it wasn’t enough to give „SyFy a chance to once again boast the best sci-fi show on TV.“ Entertainment Weekly gave it a negative review, describing it as an „unholy cross between The X-Files, Bones, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.“ Carlos Delgado of iFMagazine.com gave the episode a „B“. He liked the premise, but felt that two hours was too long, saying „smart editing could have trimmed to show to at least an hour and a half, maybe even an hour.“ Randee Dawn of Reuters felt that the „by-the-numbers hate/bonding ritual“ between the lead characters in „Pilot“ was weak, saying they are „no Mulder and Scully“.

John Booth of Wired listed 10 things that parents should consider when watching „Pilot“ with their children: Language, which included „screwing off” and “what the hell“. Violence, including fisticuffs, guns, and „a pretty tame immolation and crispy corpse“. „One genuine moment of heart-race goosebumps“. A brief scene involving a semi-nude woman in bed. That the show was unrealistic. And parallels to other television shows and movies, and other observations that he and his daughter made. Amy Amatangelo of Zap2it singled out the character Pete’s line „I’m trained to take a bullet if necessary but I’m not sure how to stop a dead Italian cougar“ as one of her quotes of the week.

Jason Hughes of TV Squad enjoyed two mysteries that „Pilot“ sets up, but does not explain: why „CCH Pounder’s Mrs. Frederic may be much older than she appears“, and that the character Leena may be Mrs. Frederic’s daughter. John Dugan of Time Out New York felt the episode was „ultimately slightly less than satisfying.“

Micklam railway station

Micklam railway station served the fireclay mine and brickworks at Micklam, a short distance north of Lowca in the former county of Cumberland, England, which is now part of Cumbria.

A public passenger service called at the station between 2 June 1913 and May 1926, though unadvertised workmen’s trains had started in April 1912 and continued until April 1929, after which all forms of passenger service ceased.

By 1922 the service had settled down to three trains each way between Lowca and Workington Central, calling at Micklam. There was an extra on Saturdays, but it passed through Micklam without stopping.. There never was a public Sunday service.

The station was on the Harrington and Lowca Light Railway which connected with the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway (CWJR) at Rosehill Junction south of Harrington Village. Workmen’s services to and from Micklam variously ran from Moss Bay Cart Siding, Maryport (during the First World War), Workington Central and Seaton (Cumbria). Public passenger trains ran to these last two only.

The railway through Micklam was first and foremost a mineral railway, with the short-lived workmen’s and passenger services an afterthought. Lines first reached the site at the end of the Nineteenth Century, eventually running northwards towards Workington and southeastwards to meet the Gilgarran Branch at Bain’s Siding. The driving forces were coal at Lowca, fireclay and bricks (primarily aimed at lining furnaces at Workington’s steelworks), coke and coking bi-products. Centrepiece for over fifty years was Harrington No. 10 Colliery which, confusingly, was not in Harrington, but in Lowca.

A seldom-photographed 2 feet 6 inches (760 mm) railway emerged from the fireclay drift mine then ran parallel to the Lowca Light railway along the clifftop to Micklam brickworks.

Between them these industrial concerns sustained the railway through Micklam until final closure to all traffic in May 1973.

Броненосцы типа «Габсбург»

Броненосцы типа «Габсбург» (нем. Habsburg-Klasse, венг. Habsburg-osztály) — серия эскадренных броненосцев Австро-Венгрии конца 1890-х — начала 1900-х годов. Первая серия мореходных броненосцев Австро-Венгрии, заложенная с 1870-х годов, корабли этого типа из-за ограничений, наложенных бюджетом и возможностями судоверфей, являлись самыми маленькими эскадренными броненосцами в мире. По своему водоизмещению броненосцы типа «Габсбург» находились на уровне или даже уступали броненосным крейсерам других стран, будучи схожи с ними также в высокой для своего класса скорости.

Всего в 1899—1904 годах было построено три броненосца типа «Габсбург». В 1910—1912 годах «Габсбург» и «Арпад» прошли переоборудование, в ходе которого с них была снята одна из палуб надстройки. В годы Первой мировой войны броненосцы типа «Габсбург» составляли 4-й дивизион 1-й эскадры флота, но, как и другие крупные корабли австро-венгерского флота, за исключением обстрела итальянского побережья в 1915 году, во вторую половину войны активного участия в боевых действиях не принимали. В 1917—1918 годах два из броненосцев были переклассифицированы как учебные корабли, а третий — как плавучая казарма. С капитуляцией Австро-Венгрии и окончанием войны все три броненосца были переданы в 1920 году переданы Великобритании и пущены на слом в Италии в 1921 году. Развитием «Габсбургов» стали броненосцы типа «Эрцгерцог Карл».

Возрождение австро-венгерского флота на рубеже XIX—XX столетия началось с закладки трех первых австрийских эскадренных броненосцев типа «Габсбург». Усиление итальянского и русского флота в конце девятнадцатого века заставило австрийцев обратить внимание на бедственное положение своего флота и принять меры по его усилению. В 1893—1896 флот пополнили три броненосца береговой обороны типа «Монарх», но эти маленькие тихоходные корабли явно не подходили для боя с крупными итальянскими броненосцами.

В 1899 году, главный инженер флота Зигфрид Поппер разработал проект очень маленького но вполне полноценно вооруженного и защищенного эскадренного броненосца. Особые условия адриатического театра, с его сравнительно небольшими расстояниями между берегами позволяли пожертвовать автономностью и дальностью хода в пользу скорости и боевых характеристик. Поппер предполагал, что его броненосцы смогут, несмотря на свои маленькие размеры, успешно противостоять более крупным итальянским кораблям вроде «Ре Умберто», а высокая скорость позволит им избегать невыгодного боя с превосходящими силами противника. Австрийский рейхстаг поддержал проект, и в 1899 году два первых корабля серии были заложены на государственной верфи в Триесте.

Броненосцы типа «Габсбург» были очень небольшими по меркам времени кораблями, водоизмещением всего около 8300 тонн. Большинство современников относили их к броненосцам 2-го класса или даже к броненосным крейсерам. Стремление Поппера разместить в ограниченном водоизмещении максимально мощное вооружение привело к формированию характерного силуэта кораблей с двухъярусными казематами по бортам.

Основное вооружение кораблей составляли три 240-миллиметровых 40-калиберных орудия германского производства, аналогичные применямым на германских кораблях класса «Кайзер Фридрих III» и «Виттельсбах». Два орудия размещались в носовой, и одно — в кормовой орудийной башне.

Хотя эти пушки существенно уступали крупнокалиберным орудиям «нормальных» броненосцев по пробивной силе и весу снаряда, тем не менее, в своем классе это были весьма удачные орудия. Их скорострельность составляла до 2,5 выстрелов в минуту, и они могли послать 229-килограммовый бронебойный снаряд с начальной скоростью до 700 метров в секунду на дистанцию до 15000 метров. На расстоянии в 10000 метров бронебойный снаряд пробивал 180-миллиметровую гарвеированную бронеплиту. С учетом слабой защищенности новых итальянских броненосцев, выбор подобной артиллерии в качестве главного калибра был вполне оправдан соображениями экономии веса и повышенной скорострельности.

Основную ставку Поппер делал на скорострельную артиллерию. Броненосцы типа «Габсбург» несли мощную батарею из двенадцати 150-миллиметровых 40-калиберных орудий Круппа. Орудия располагались побортно в необычных двухъярусных казематах: на каждый борт стреляло по шесть орудий, кроме того концевые орудия могли вести погонный и ретирадный огонь. Скорострельность орудий составляла 4-5 выстрелов в минуту на дальность до 15000 метров.

Противоминное вооружение корабля было очень мощным и хорошо продуманным. Десять 66-миллиметровых 45-калиберных орудий фирмы «Шкода» были установлены на крыше надстройки. Их дополняли восемь 47-миллиметровых орудий на низких марсах боевых мачт. Подводное вооружение состояло из двух 450-мм торпедных аппаратов, расположенных под водой.

Броневая защита кораблей была выполнена из крупповской хромоникелевой брони. Основной броневой пояс, прикрывавший цитадель, достигал 220 миллиметров толщиной, сужаясь у основания барбетов до 180 миллиметров. Оконечности прикрывала тонкая 50-миллиметровая броня. Главный пояс имел высоту 2,3 метра, из которых 1,3 находились под водой.

Над главным поясом располагался верхний, толщиной в 100 миллиметров, и прикрывающий центр корпуса между барбетами. Артиллерия главного калибра защищалась 210-мм броней, барбеты имели толщину 183 мм. Скорострельные орудия в казематах защищались с лицевой стороны 137-миллиметровыми плитами, с боков и сзади их защищало только 88-миллиметровое бронирование.

Горизонтальная защита формировалась 40-миллиметровой броневой палубой. В целом, для столь небольших кораблей, броневая защита являлась чрезвычайно мощной и хорошо продуманной.

Двухвинтовые корабли приводились в действие паровыми машинами общей мощностью в 15000 л.с. На испытаниях, корабли не смогли развить проектную 20-узловую скорость, но в повседневной службе достаточно легко развивали 19,6-19,85 узлов, что было выше скорости большинства броненосцев того времени. Запас хода была ограничен требованиями плавания в Адриатике.

Модель броненосца «Арпад»

Следует признать, что для столь небольшого водоизмещения, австрийцам удалось создать отлично сбалансированные корабли. Тщательно изучив состав флота основного противника – Италии, и особенности адриатического театра действий, австрийцы построили небольшие, но полностью отвечающие их требованиям броненосцы-крейсеры.

Несмотря на свои малые размеры, броненосцы типа „Габсбург“ вполне могли сражаться на равных с существующими на тот момент гораздо более крупными итальянскими кораблями типа «Ре Умберто» и «Аммиральо ди Сан-Бон» и превосходили итальянские броненосные крейсера типа «Джузеппе Гарибальди». Мощное крупповское бронирование австрийцев надежно защищало их жизненно важные части от 254-305-миллиметровых снарядов итальянских кораблей, в то время как сильная батарея скорострельных орудий и облегченные но более скорострельные орудия главного калибра „Габсбургов“ могли эффективно поражать сравнительно слабо защищенные и имевшие как правило недостаточную площадь бронирования итальянские корабли на значительной дистанции. Высокая скорость позволяла австрийцам диктовать дистанцию боя и уходить от невыгодного для себя столкновения.

В целом, для специфических условий войны в Адриатическом Море, австрийцам удалось построить весьма эффективные корабли, и ввести их в строй достаточно быстро – заложенные в 1899, все три броненосца вступили в строй в 1902-1904, опередив заложенные раньше итальянские быстроходные броненосцы типа «Реджина Маргерита».

Alexander Randall (Kongressabgeordneter)

Alexander Randall (* 3. Januar 1803 in Annapolis, Maryland; † 21. November 1881 ebenda) war ein US-amerikanischer Politiker. Zwischen 1841 und 1843 vertrat er den Bundesstaat Maryland im US-Repräsentantenhaus.

Alexander Randall genoss zunächst eine private Schulausbildung und absolvierte danach im Jahr 1822 das St. John’s College in Annapolis. Nach einem anschließenden Jurastudium und seiner Zulassung als Rechtsanwalt begann er ab 1824 in Annapolis in diesem Beruf zu arbeiten. Später schlug er auch eine politische Laufbahn ein. Er schloss sich der 1835 gegründeten Whig Party an.

Bei den Kongresswahlen des Jahres 1840 wurde Randall im vierten Wahlbezirk von Maryland in das US-Repräsentantenhaus in Washington, D.C. gewählt, wo er am 4. März 1841 sein neues Mandat antrat. Da er im Jahr 1842 auf eine erneute Kandidatur verzichtete, konnte er bis zum 3. März 1843 nur eine Legislaturperiode im Kongress absolvieren. Diese Zeit war von den Spannungen zwischen Präsident John Tyler und den Whigs geprägt. Außerdem wurde damals bereits über eine mögliche Annexion der seit 1836 von Mexiko unabhängigen Republik Texas diskutiert.

Nach dem Ende seiner Zeit im US-Repräsentantenhaus praktizierte Alexander Randall wieder als Anwalt. Außerdem stieg er in das Bankengewerbe ein. Zwischen 1844 und 1848 war er Revisor des High Court of Chancery von Maryland. Im Jahr 1850 nahm er als Delegierter an einer Versammlung zur Überarbeitung der Staatsverfassung teil. Von 1864 bis 1868 fungierte Randall als Attorney General seines Heimatstaates. Er starb am 21. November 1881 in Annapolis, wo er auch beigesetzt wurde.

Tilghman | Martin | Pinkney | Mason | Johnson | Montgomery | Martin | Dorsey | Kell | Taney | Bayly | Richardson | Brent | Randall | Jones | Syester | Gwinn | Roberts | Whyte | Poe | Clabaugh | Gaither | Rayner | Bryan | Straus | E. Poe | Ritchie | Marbury | Armstrong | Robinson | Lane | O’Conor | Walsh | W. Curran | Hammond | Rollins | Sybert | Finan | Murphy | Burch | Oster | Nilson | Sachs | J. Curran | Gansler | Frosh

1. Bezirk: M. Stone | P. Key | Dent | Campbell | Stuart | Neale | Dorsey | Jenifer | L. Dennis | Steele | J. Dennis II | Jones | Causin | J. Chapman | R. Bowie | Franklin | Stewart | Crisfield | Creswell | McCullough | Hambleton | Wilson II | P. Thomas | D. Henry | G. Covington | Gibson | Page | J.B. Brown | Bratton | W. Henry | Miles | Barber | J. Smith | J. Kerr | Jackson | T. Smith | Jackson | J. Covington | Price | Andrews | T. Goldsborough | Ward | Roe | Miller | T. Johnson | Morton | Mills | Bauman | Dyson | Gilchrest | Kratovil | A. Harris • 2. Bezirk: Seney | Hindman | Mercer | Duvall | R. Sprigg | J.C. Thomas | R. Sprigg | W. Bowie | L. Covington | Van Horne | Kent | Herbert | Kent | Weems | Semmes | Carmichael | Pearce | P. Thomas | Pearce | Brengle | Perry | Roman | Hamilton | Shower | Ricaud | Webster | J.L. Thomas | S. Archer II | Roberts | Talbott | Shaw | Stump | Talbott | Baker | Blakeney | Talbott | Benson | Blakeney | Tydings | W.P. Cole | Clark | W.P. Cole | Baldwin | Meade | Bolton | Devereux | Brewster | C. Long | Bentley | Ehrlich | Ruppersberger • 3. Bezirk: Contee | Pinkney | Mercer | Forrest | B. Edwards | Crabb | Craik | Plater | Magruder | P.B. Key | Hanson | Peter | Warfield | Peter | Washington | Turner | J. Worthington | Williams | Sewall | Wethered | Ligon | Hammond | Van Sant | J. Harris | Leary | Davis | Phelps | Swann | O’Brien | Kimmel | Hoblitzell | W.H. Cole | Rusk | Booze | Wachter | Wolf | Kronmiller | Konig | Coady | Hill | Palmisano | D’Alesandro | Garmatz | P. Sarbanes | Mikulski | Cardin | J. Sarbanes

4. Bezirk: W. Smith | Sterett | T. Sprigg | Baer | Hiester | R. Nelson | Ringgold | Baer | Ringgold | J. Nelson | Lee | T. Worthington | M. Sprigg | F. Thomas | Heath | Howard/I. McKim | Howard/J. Kennedy | Hillen/J. Carroll | Randall/J. Kennedy | J. Kennedy | Giles | McLane | T. Walsh | Hamilton | Davis | May | F. Thomas | Hamill | Ritchie | Swann | McLane | Findlay | Rayner | Stockbridge | Rayner | Cowen | McIntire | Denny | Schirm | Denny | Gill | Linthicum | A. Kennedy | Meyer | Ellison | Fallon | P. Sarbanes | Holt | McMillen | Wynn | D. Edwards • 5. Bezirk: G. Gale | Murray | S. Smith | McCreery/Moore | A. McKim/Little | A. McKim/Moore | Pinkney/Moore | Little/S. Smith | Little/I. McKim | Little/Barney | E. Brown/Howard | J. Worthington/Howard | I. McKim | Washington | W. Johnson | Preston | Constable | Evans | May | Hoffman | Kunkel | F. Thomas | B. Harris | F. Stone | Merrick | Albert | Henkle | A. Chapman | Holton | Compton | Mudd I | Compton | Coffin | Mudd I | Parran | F. Smith | Mudd II | Gambrill | Sasscer | Small | Lankford | Machen | Hogan | Spellman | Hoyer

6. Bezirk: D. Carroll | Sheredine | Christie | Matthews | Christie | J. Archer | Montgomery | S. Archer I | Reed | S. Archer I | Cosden | Reed | G. Mitchell | L. Gale | G. Mitchell | Sewall | W. Johnson | F. Thomas | Mason | T. Spence | E. Long | Crisfield | J.B. Kerr | Cottman | Sollers | T. Bowie | Hughes | Calvert | Lowndes | W. Walsh | Urner | McComas | McKaig | Wellington | McDonald | Pearre | Lewis | Zihlman | Lewis | W. Byron | K. Byron | Beall I | Hyde | Foley | Mathias | Beall II | G. Byron | B. Byron | Bartlett | Delaney • 7. Bezirk: Hindman | Nicholson | Lloyd | J. Brown | Wright | Culbreth | Wright | Hayward | J.L. Kerr | Spencer | J.L. Kerr | F. Thomas | Jenifer | Sollers | Friedel | P. Mitchell | Mfume | Cummings • 8. Bezirk: Murray | J. Dennis I | C. Goldsborough | Bayly | J. Spence | Martin | Wilson I | J. Spence | Stoddert | Sickles | Gude | Steers | Barnes | Morella | Van Hollen


Malters is a municipality in the district of Lucerne in the canton of Lucerne in Switzerland.

Malters is first mentioned in second half of the 9th Century as in Maltrensi marcha. In 1238 it was mentioned as villa Malters.

Malters has an area of 28.6 km2 (11.0 sq mi). Of this area, 64.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 24.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 9.5% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (1.2%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains). In the 1997 land survey, 24.54% of the total land area was forested. Of the agricultural land, 60.55% is used for farming or pastures, while 4.17% is used for orchards or vine crops. Of the settled areas, 4.73% is covered with buildings, 0.88% is industrial, 0.39% is classed as special developments, 0.25% is parks or greenbelts and 3.29% is transportation infrastructure. Of the unproductive areas, 0.04% is unproductive standing water (ponds or lakes), 1.12% is unproductive flowing water (rivers) and 0.07% is other unproductive land.

The municipality is located about 10 km (6.2 mi) from Lucerne along both sides of the Kleine Emme river. It consists of the village of Malters and, until 1845, the now independent municipality of Schwarzenberg.

Malters has a population (as of 31 December 2015) of 6,988. As of 2007, 8.8% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 3.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks German (93.2%), with Albanian being second most common ( 2.8%) and Serbo-Croatian being third ( 0.8%).

In the 2007 election the most popular party was the FDP which received 30.9% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the CVP (27.4%), the SVP (24.3%) and the SPS (8%).

The age distribution in Malters is; 1,707 people or 26.6% of the population is 0–19 years old. 1,707 people or 26.6% are 20–39 years old, and 2,111 people or 32.9% are 40–64 years old. The senior population distribution is 651 people or 10.1% are 65–79 years old, 207 or 3.2% are 80–89 years old and 34 people or 0.5% of the population are 90+ years old.

The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Malters about 69.2% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).

As of 2000 there are 2,197 households, of which 615 households (or about 28.0%) contain only a single individual. 307 or about 14.% are large households, with at least five members. As of 2000 there were 997 inhabited buildings in the municipality, of which 700 were built only as housing, and 297 were mixed use buildings. There were 407 single family homes, 138 double family homes, and 155 multi-family homes in the municipality. Most homes were either two (353) or three (226) story structures. There were only 31 single story buildings and 90 four or more story buildings.

Malters has an unemployment rate of 1.25%. As of 2005, there were 427 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 141 businesses involved in this sector. 1106 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 79 businesses in this sector. 1115 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 141 businesses in this sector. As of 2000 49.5% of the population of the municipality were employed in some capacity. At the same time, females made up 39.7% of the workforce.

In the 2000 census the religious membership of Malters was; 4,651 (75.9%) were Roman Catholic, and 584 (9.5%) were Protestant, with an additional 63 (1.03%) that were of some other Christian faith. There are 4 individuals (0.07% of the population) who are Jewish. There are 235 individuals (3.84% of the population) who are Muslim. Of the rest; there were 62 (1.01%) individuals who belong to another religion, 305 (4.98%) who do not belong to any organized religion, 223 (3.64%) who did not answer the question.

The historical population is given in the following table:

Ten Mile Road Race

The Fire Fighters Ten Mile Road Race is an annual road running race held in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. It originated in 1910, and follows a route linking Port Arthur and Fort William. The race draws about 700 runners, and is held annually on Victoria Day, a Canadian national holiday.This holiday occurs on the 3rd Monday in May.

The Ten Mile Road Race in Thunder Bay has a history that dates back to 1910. It is the oldest 10 mile road race in Canada, predating the Tely 10 mile road race held in St John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador since 1922. The Fort William Daily Times-Journal, a local newspaper, announced in April 1910 that it would sponsor an annual road race with the purpose of promoting „healthy and clean sport at the head of the lakes“. The streets were lined with spectators along the entire route. The inaugural race was won by J.E. Edwards of Port Arthur in a time of 57 minutes.

The Times-Journal went on to provide sponsorship for the race until 1915 when World War I forced the cancellation of the event. It was reinstated in 1920. During the 1930s the race continually drew a great deal of public interest.The number of entrants was consistently higher than in previous years (an average of 30 runners in 1930s vs. an average of 12 runners in the 1920s).

World War II caused the race to end for 10 years. On Victoria Day 1949, one decade after the last race, the Ten Mile Road race was revived and organized by Branch 6 of the Royal Canadian Legion. A mere seven runners toed the line in that race, the lowest turnout ever. In the 1950s the race was not held as interest waned.

In 1963, Branch 6 revived the Ten Mile Road Race one more time. Competitors and the public demonstrated that there was renewed interest in the race. In 1966 Gary Young entered the ten mile race for the first time, even through he did not finish that first year he has surpassed the saying if you do not first succeed, try, try, try again. In 1967 Gary Young finished his first 10-mile race at the age of 15, placing 10th overall in a time of 67:42. The following year at the age of 16, Gary came 4th overall in a time of 58:53. In 1969 at the age of 17 he won in a time of 56:15. Since then Gary has won more awards in the annual road race than any other runner. In 1976 finishing second overall Gary ran his fastest time in 51:36. Gary has finished second twice and third twice. Gary Young has finished the ten mile race forty eight times plus in 1978 the 10 mile race committee added the Canadian 20 kilometer championship in which Gary finished 3rd overall in a time of 67:24, making 49 times finishing the ten mile route. Gary has finished the ten mile race under one hour thirty-one times. In 2004, Gary Young became the oldest Thunder Bay runner to finish the race under one hour at the age of 52, (3 days short of his 53rd birthday), Gary ran 59:18. Gary now holds the world record for most annual 10 mile races completed. Gary is still competing as of 2016. The world record for most annual road races is 58 held by marathon runner John Kelley (deceased). The world record for most annual races (cross country) completed is 67 by Jack Kirk (deceased). In 1968, the first female competitor ran in the Ten Mile Road Race: Frances Blanche of Marathon, Ontario. Awards and separate categories for female runners were not initiated until the late 1970s. The fastest time to date for a local female athlete is Sue Kainulainen (58:30 in 1984). She went on to win the women’s division seven times. In 1970, the event took on a higher profile as it became the National 10 Mile Championship won by Robert Moore. In 1973 Thunder Bay`s Bill Britten ran the 10 mile in 49:13 while living and training in the city of Thunder Bay. In 1975 Jim Trapp also a native of Thunder Bay came back to Thunder Bay after attending Northern Arizona University and ran in a winning time of 49:04. Bill Britton came 2nd in 1975 in a time of 49:26. In 1978 the 10 mile race committee added a second race,the Canadian 20 Kilometre Championship. This race started before the 10 mile. Bill Britten won in 63:47,Jim Fethers was second in 66:04 and Gary Young placed third in 67:24. Only one woman ran the 20 km. race, Marilyn Fraser ran 93:23. Unfortuntely most runners in Thunder Bay raced the 10 mile, and the 20 km. race was a big disappointment to the 10 mile road race committee. Since the 1978 race all 10 mile race committees and race directors upto 2016 have failed to recognize the Canadian 20 kilometre event on the Thunder Bay Fire Fighters 10 mile web site. In the 1970`s many of the country’s top runners traveled to Thunder Bay and provided some of the fastest and most competitive racing the event has ever seen. Some of these runners were Dan Shaughnessy, Brian Armstrong, Robert Moore, and Harry Jerome (a past winner of Boston Marathon).

The nature of the race gradually began to expand, from a highly competitive elite event to one encompassing runners of all ability levels. This took place with the beginning of the running boom in the 1970s. Up until this time, the largest number of participants was about 80. Into the 1980s, the numbers of participants increased to 300 or so runners taking on the 10 mile distance. In 1989 Lakehead University sponsored the race with the help of Branch 6 of the Royal Canadian Legion and other supporters. They continued their sponsorship for the next five years. Bell Canada came on board in 1992 and 1993. The torch was then passed to Shoppers Drug Mart who contributed financial and volunteer support for the next 10 years. In 2004, the 71st running of the 10 Mile Road Race welcomed the Thunder Bay Professional Firefighters Association as the next title sponsor. In 2009, Half Way Motors stepped forward to become a presenting sponsor with the Firefighters continuing as the title sponsors.

In 1981, a pre-race pasta dinner was added to the venue. It has continued to attract runners, organizers, volunteers along with their families and friends to come together to dine and share stories of past races. In 2009 the race had 714 individual runners and 150 more for relays.

The current race route is an out and back course and has runners running up and down an overpass bridge twice, making the course more difficult than necessary. Although there have been minor modifications in the course over the years, it continues the tradition of offering a route that connects the two former cities of Fort William and Port Arthur. The course is not a fast course and has never been certified.

The race starts on Simpson Street near the intersection with Donald Street and follows Simpson Street as it turns into Fort William Road and then into Water Street. At this point the route turns onto Marina Park Drive and the runners experience a clear view from the top of the overpass of Lake Superior and the Sleeping Giant. The route goes a short distance into Marina Park where it reaches the mid way turning point. The roads along the course are closed to all vehicular traffic with barricades and volunteers at each intersection. Spectators have easy of access to all sectors of the route with sight lines of the runners on the outward leg and homeward leg of the race.

The Columbus Centre at the corner of May and Arthur Streets serves as the race centre. It provides the venue for the race registrations, the pre-race pasta dinner, and change rooms and the awards event after the race.

The race has and continues to be held on the Victoria Day holiday which occurs on the last Monday on or before May 24. It begins at 9:00 AM to ensure that the runners have a comfortable temperature for the run and the roads can be reopened to traffic before the busier part of the day. The Thunder Bay 10 Mile Road Race celebrated its 75th running in 2008.

Four Thunder Bay athletes have excelled in this race. Sue Kainulainen has the record for the most victories (7) in the women’s division. Jonathon Balabuck has posted 5 consecutive victories in the men’s division. Gary Young has the most annual races competed with 48 and has won more awards than any other runner. Bill Britten has ran four sub 50 minute ten mile races,1973,1974,1975,1976 and has the highest age graded performance of all Thunder Bay runners at 91.62 percent. In all previous races only one other Thunder Bay runner has raced under 50 minutes.

Times News Newspaper, Brodie Street Library 1973 tape 360. Times News Newspaper, Brodie Street Library 1974 tape 367. Times News Newspaper, Brodie Street Library 1975 tape 376. Times News Newspaper, Brodie Street Library 1976 May.

Japanische Antarktisforschung

Die Japanische Antarktisexpedition ist in der internationalen Literatur meist unter dem Stichwort „Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition (JARE)“ zu finden. Es ist ein Sammelbegriff für die umfangreichen Untersuchungen, die Japan nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg in der Antarktis durchgeführt hat. Nach ersten Expeditionen in den Jahren 1910 bis 1912 als Fortsetzung von Walfang und Tiefseefischerei im sog. Goldenen Zeitalter der Antarktisforschung stieg Japan ab 1956 mit der festen Shōwa-Station in die Antarktis-Forschung ein.

Die Koordination lag beim NIPR und finanziert wurde über den Etat des Ministeriums für Bildung, Kultur, Sport, Wissenschaft und Technologie (MEXT). Der Jahresetat betrug 1995 2,9 Mio. Yen.

NIPR stellt für JARE die gesamte Infrastruktur zur Verfügung mit Ausnahme des Transportes von Material und Personal, das der Eisbrecher Shirase – nach dem Antarktis-Forscher Nobu Shirase – übernimmt, der wiederum vom japanischen Verteidigungsministerium unterhalten wird. Das wissenschaftliche Programm auf Shōwa-Station deckt Untersuchungen ab der Oberen Atmosphäre, Wetterkunde, Seismologie, Gravimetrie, Geodäsie und Kartographie, Ozeanographie, Glaziologie, Geologie, Geographie, maritime und terrestrische Biologie sowie Medizinwissenschaften. An Bord des Schiffs Shirase können außerdem die folgenden Gebiete untersucht werden: Ionosphäre, Meteorologie, Geomagnetismus, Gravimetrie und physikalische, chemikalische und biologische Ozeanographie.

Die erste Japanische Antarktisexpedition fand 1910–1912 unter Leitung des Armeeleutnants Nobu Shirase mit dem Schiff Kainan Maru statt. Nach Abfahrt in Tokio am 1. Dezember 1910 erreichte die Expedition das antarktische Eis am 26. Februar 1911. Eine Landung auf dem antarktischen Kontinent gelang erst im Folgejahr am 16. Januar 1912, wobei die Japaner Roald Amundsens Schiff Fram antrafen. Sie segelten weiter und stießen etwa 160 Meilen südlich von ihrem Schiffslandeplatz bis zum Yamato-Schneefeld vor, wo sie aufgrund widriger Wetterverhältnisse und schwindender Kräfte umkehrten. Das Wettrennen um das Erreichen des Südpols konnten die Japaner nicht mehr gewinnen. Am 20. Juni 1912 kehrten das Schiff und die Mannschaft nach einer Reise von mehr als 30.000 Meilen wieder nach Yokohama zurück. Alle Expeditionsteilnehmer kehrten zurück.

In Vorbereitung auf das Internationale Geophysikalische Jahr (1957/1958) beschloss die japanische Regierung 1955 die Errichtung einer nationalen antarktischen Forschungsstation.

Die erste Station wurde ab Ende 1956 aufgebaut und im Sommer 1957 bezogen. Sie liegt auf der Ost-Ongul-Insel, die sich östlich des nördlichen Teiles der Ongul-Insel auf der Ostseite der Einfahrt zur Lützow-Holm-Bucht befindet. Ursprünglich wurde diese Insel als Teil der Ongul-Insel angesehen. Erst durch die Japanische Südpol-Expedition (JARE) 1957 wurde ein Fahrwasser zwischen beiden Landpartien entdeckt. Die Shōwa-Station bestand aus drei Häusern mit insgesamt 184 m² Nutzfläche. Im Juli 1970 kam die Mizuho-Station und im Januar 1985 die Asuka-Station hinzu. Außerdem arbeitet seit 1995 die Dome Fuji Station, wo in erster Linie Tiefbohrungen vorgenommen werden. Alle drei Stationen hatten im Jahre 2001 48 Gebäude mit zusammen nahezu 6.000 m² Nutzfläche.

Seit 1973 gilt JARE als inneruniversitäre Einrichtung. Seit 2008 ist der dritte Polar-Eisbrecher Shirase 5003 für die Stationen in der Antarktis unterwegs. Vorgänger waren der 1983 in Dienst gestellte 11.600-Tonnen Eisbrecher Shirase 5002 und zuvor Sōya und Fuji. Die Anschaffung und Ausrüstung von Shirase 5002 kostete 24 Mrd. Yen. Das Jahresbudget für die Forschungsstationen lag Mitte der 1980er Jahre zwischen drei und vier Mrd. Yen. Das mit 3.800 Tonnen wesentlich kleinere Vorgängerschiff Sōya von Hokkaidō ist seit 1979 Museumsschiff in Tokio, die 1965 in Dienst gestellte und 5.250 BRT große Fuji ist Museumsschiff in Nagoya.

Seit 1990 arbeitet das International Arctic Science Committee (IASC), dem acht Länder angehören. Als Mitglied im IASC stellt Japan eine Untergruppe der Polarforschung dar. Schwerpunkt der Arbeit ist die Untersuchung von Umwelteinflüssen in der Atmosphäre, dem Ozean und bei Lebewesen.

Shōwa-Station (昭和基地, Shōwa-kichi), benannt nach der Ärabezeichnung Shōwa, ist die Mutterstation des gesamten Projektes. Sie wurde im Januar 1957 bezogen und wurde nach einer Unterbrechung von Februar 1962 bis 1965 kontinuierlich vergrößert. Die Unterbrechung war verursacht durch eine hohe Unzuverlässigkeit der Transportmöglichkeiten sowohl des Eisbrechers als auch der Hubschrauber für den Transferverkehr zwischen Schiff und Station. Auf vehementes Drängen der japanischen Forscher beschloss das Parlament im Dezember 1963 den Bau eines neuen Eisbrechers, von Überland-Fahrzeugen sowie eines neuen Budgets. Die Station ist Sommer wie Winter besetzt. Hier laufen sämtliche Forschungsergebnisse auch der anderen Stationen zusammen.

Mizuho-Station (みずほ基地, Mizuho-kichi; ) wurde im Januar 1970 eingerichtet. Die Station liegt etwa 270 Kilometer in südöstliche Richtung von Shōwa-Station entfernt auf 2.230 Meter über dem Meer auf der Mizuho-Hochebene. Die Mizuho-Station ist nicht ständig besetzt, lediglich in den zehn Jahren von 1976 bis 1986 waren dort ständig Mitarbeiter, die die Meteorologie, Glaziologie und die Obere Atmosphäre beobachtet haben, so wie es jetzt nur noch gelegentlich passiert.

Asuka-Station (あすか基地, Asuka-kichi; ), benannt nach Asuka-kyō, liegt auf 930,5 Höhenmetern nördlich der Sor-Rondane-Berge und wurde am 26. März 1985 errichtet. Es hat eine Gesamtfläche von 450 Quadratmetern und liegt mittlerweile größtenteils unter Schnee und Eis. Die Station dient als Ausgangspunkt für die Feldforschung in Sachen Geologie, Geomorphologie, Meteoritensuche, Glaziologie und Biologie in den Sor-Rondane-Bergen. Die Sor-Rondane-Berge sind eine etwa 160 Kilometer lange Bergkette, die bis zu 3.400 Meter über dem Meer ansteigt. Von 1987 bis 1991 war die Station ständig besetzt zum Zwecke der Forschung in den Bereichen Meteorologie, Glaziologie, der Kern-Mantel-Grenze, die nach ihren Entdeckern Emil Wiechert und Beno Gutenberg auch Wiechert-Gutenberg-Diskontinuität genannt wird, sowie der Oberen Atmosphäre.

Im Jahresmittel zwischen 1985 und 1990 betrug die Temperatur −18,3 °C und die Windgeschwindigkeit 12,6 m/s. Die Höchsttemperatur von −0,5 °C wurde am 5. Januar 1990 und die Niedrigsttemperatur von −48,7 °C am 9. August 1987 gemessen.

Die Dome-Fuji-Station (ドームふじ基地, Dōmu-Fuji-kichi; ) befindet sich auf dem Gipfel des 3.810 Meter über NN hohen Dome Fuji und wurde am 29. Januar 1995 als bislang letzte, japanische Station in Betrieb genommen. Sie liegt etwa 1000 km südlich der Shōwa-Station.

Hier werden in erster Linie Tiefbohrungen ins Eis vorgenommen (bis 2.500 Meter), um Umwelteinflüsse und Klimaveränderungen zu studieren. In den letzten Jahren wurde der Umweltschutz für das einzigartige Ökosystem in der Antarktis als extrem wichtig erkannt und entsprechend den internationalen Vereinbarungen berücksichtigt.

Die „Takaki Promontory“ () in der Antarktis, eine Halbinsel, wurde nach Takaki Kanehiro, einem Marinearzt und Mitglied des japanischen Herrenhauses benannt. Er ist der bislang einzige Japaner, dem die Ehre einer Namensgebung von Land in der Antarktis zuteilwurde. Takaki hatte der japanischen Marine geholfen, Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts die ernährungsbedingte Vitaminmangelkrankheit Beriberi zu bekämpfen, was die Antarktisfahrt 1910 erheblich erleichterte. Insbesondere bei japanischen Schiffsbesatzungen kam es vor Takakis Forschung nach längerer Ernährung nur mit weißem Reis zu einer Vielzahl tödlicher Erkrankungen, beim japanischen Heer noch 1905. Die eigentliche Ursache, ein Mangel an Thiamin wurde erst 1925 durch Christiaan Eijkman aufgeklärt, wofür dieser 1929 den Nobelpreis erhielt.

Jeremias Benjamin Richter

Vous pouvez partager vos connaissances en l’améliorant (comment ?) selon les recommandations des projets correspondants.

Jeremias Benjamin Richter (* 10 mars 1762 à Hirschberg, Silésie; † 14 avril 1807 à Berlin) était un chimiste allemand.

Il est considéré comme le père de la stœchiométrie, ayant énoncé en 1791 la „loi de proportions définies“ : il constate que pour une réaction donnée le rapport des masses des réactifs consommés est constant.

Ce travail est complété par celui de Joseph Proust en 1794, et pose les bases de la nouvelle théorie atomique qui sera appliquée à la chimie par John Dalton en 1804.

En 1794 il devient expert des mines à Breslau, puis en 1800 il est nommé assesseur au département des mines et chimiste à l’usine royale de porcelaine de Berlin, où il meurt en 1807.

J.B. Richter a d’abord embrassé une carrière militaire dans le corps des ingénieurs de l’armée prussienne. Au bout de sept ans, il du renoncer à poursuivre sa carrière et à quitter l’armée pour des raisons disciplinaires. Déjà à l’armée, son cœur battait pour la chimie dont il lisait les livres qui lui passaient entre les mains.

En 1785, il entra à l’université de Konigsberg où il étudia la philosophie et les mathématiques. Il eut comme professeur Emmanuel Kant ce qui l’influença largement. Il décida de faire de la chimie pour lui donner des fondements mathématiques, une idée qui apparaît fortement dans sa thèse eusu matheseos in Chemia (1789).

En 1795, il devient inspecteur des mines en Silésie avec un salaire très faible (300 thalers). Il partage une chambre avec son assistant, où ses livres et ses habits moisissent et ses instruments rouillent. Il nourrit en vain l’espoir d’une chaire à l’université. Tout son salaire passe dans l’achat de produits chimiques et de matériel avec lesquels il travaille jour et nuit. Il change ensuite de travail pour le fabricant des porcelaines royales où il est qualifié pour les colorants avec un salaire de 700 thalers.

Il ne s’est jamais marié, travaillant comme s’il n’en avait plus pour longtemps à vivre. Il meurt à 45 ans de la tuberculose sans jamais que ses mérites ait été reconnus.

The Hideout (Pensilvania)

The Hideout es un lugar designado por el censo ubicado en el condado de Wayne en el estado estadounidense de Pensilvania. En el Censo de 2010 tenía una población de 3013 habitantes y una densidad poblacional de 173,84 personas por km².

The Hideout se encuentra ubicado en las coordenadas . Según la Oficina del Censo de los Estados Unidos, The Hideout tiene una superficie total de 17.33 km², de la cual 15.82 km² corresponden a tierra firme y (8.7%) 1.51 km² es agua.

Según el censo de 2010, había 3013 personas residiendo en The Hideout. La densidad de población era de 173,84 hab./km². De los 3013 habitantes, The Hideout estaba compuesto por el 94.52% blancos, el 2.82% eran afroamericanos, el 0.17% eran amerindios, el 0.27% eran asiáticos, el 0% eran isleños del Pacífico, el 0.83% eran de otras razas y el 1.39% pertenecían a dos o más razas. Del total de la población el 5.24% eran hispanos o latinos de cualquier raza.