Plaque d’immatriculation belge

Les plaques d’immatriculation en Belgique sont assignées à une personne physique ou à une personne morale (entreprise).

Les plaques d’immatriculations belges, longtemps uniques en Europe de par leur petite taille, ont été adaptées depuis le 16 novembre 2010 au format plus large de type „européen“ et affichent une Eurobande bleue. Elles présentent 6 ou 7 caractères rouge foncé sur fond blanc (1-ABC-123). De par la couleur rouge foncé (RAL 3003), ces plaques gardent une singularité : elles sont les seules en Europe à ne pas présenter des caractères de couleur noire.

La plaque d’immatriculation arrière est fournie par l’État tandis que celle à l’avant doit être achetée chez un garagiste ou détaillant par le propriétaire, mais celle-ci doit être identique (carrée ou rectangulaire) à celle à l’arrière. Elle doit respecter les normes européennes concernant l’immatriculation (interdiction de plaques avec auto-collants ou de plaques découpées dans la masse : la plaque avant au format européen doit, pour toute nouvelle immatriculation depuis le , être aussi tamponnée (en relief)).

Les plaques d’immatriculation belges sont attribuées non pas à un véhicule, mais à une personne physique ou à une société. Une personne qui change de véhicule peut transférer son numéro au nouveau véhicule (pour autant bien sûr que l’ancien numéro d’immatriculation soit applicable au nouveau véhicule). L’ancien numéro peut toutefois être radié, auquel cas un nouveau numéro sera attribué.

Les anciennes plaques sans logo européen sont progressivement remplacées, au fur et à mesure des nouvelles demandes d’immatriculation, depuis le 16 novembre 2010, sauf pour les plaques personnalisées, ou par une demande payante de conversion d’une plaque ancienne à 6 ou 5 caractères en plaque personnalisée (son coût est de 2 000 euros).

La plaque arrière était jadis souvent attachée sur un porte plaque qui affiche une lettre B et une publicité pour le concessionnaire automobile ou parfois ornée d’un drapeau européen.

Les nouvelles plaques au format européen (deux formats restent possibles : rectangulaire ou carré) sont de couleur rubis type RAL.3003 sur fond blanc. Il y a 7 caractères au lieu de 6, séparés par des tirets et non plus par des points, et le drapeau européen ainsi que le B y figurent, sur fond bleu, à gauche de la plaque.

Depuis le 16 novembre 2010 : rubis (rouge foncé) sur fond blanc, un chiffre-indice + 3 lettres + 3 chiffres (1-AAA-001).

Pour l’ancien Secrétaire d’état à la mobilité Etienne Schouppe, la nouvelle plaque devait être noire sur fond jaune, mariage de couleurs le plus visible selon des études menées dans le nord de la Belgique, mais les partis francophones ont refusé jugeant les couleurs trop „flamandes“. Le CD&V a alors proposé d’entourer la plaque d’un bandeau rouge, histoire de donner un caractère plus belge à la plaque. Mais Joëlle Milquet et Laurette Onkelinx sont restées sur leurs positions .
Le rubis sur blanc a alors été choisi, cette association de couleurs a été critiquée par le VAB et Touring affirmant qu’en Belgique „le communautaire passe avant la sécurité“.

Les plaques personnalisées et les anciennes plaques (plaque familiale, plaque historique à laquelle on est attaché) pourront à la demande être converties au nouveau format, mais avec l’ajout d’un 9 – en première position pour former la nouvelle composition (exemple ATH-001 deviendrait 9-ATH-001).

Les plaques d’immatriculation émises jusqu’en novembre 2010 sont à caractères rouges sur fond blanc, et mesurent 325 mm sur 105 mm (plus petit que les autres états Européens).

Les dernières versions de ces plaques „ancien format“ comportent des combinaison de trois lettres et de trois chiffres : AAA-111 ou 222-BBB.

Les motocyclettes mues par un moteur de plus de 50 cm3 ont une plaque jaune avec des lettres et chiffres noirs. La première lettre est M. Depuis le 2 juin 2006, la première lettre des nouvelles immatriculations est W. Ces plaques ont une forme presque carrée, avec les trois lettres sur la première ligne et les trois chiffres sur la seconde. Les motos mues par un moteur de moins de 50 cm3 et qui ne dépassent pas 45 km/h n’ont pas de plaque et sont appelées cyclomoteurs.

Certaines plaques commencent uniquement et obligatoirement par les lettres suivantes :

les plaques EUR, EURO, OTAN et SHAPE, fond blanc avec chiffres et lettres bleu, ou que chiffres bleu

Jusqu’en 2000, les immatriculations composées de trois lettres suivies de trois chiffres (ex : ABC-123) ne comprenaient pas les lettres suivantes : I, M, O, Q, W. Elles ont été introduites par la suite afin d’augmenter le nombre de possibilités (outre leur utilisation pour les significations spéciales décrites ci-dessus).

Pour une raison mystérieuse, la série qui était en cours a été interrompue dans le courant de l’année 2000[Quand ?] à hauteur de l’immatriculation SRZ-999 afin d’intégrer ces cinq nouvelles lettres. À partir de cette date, une nouvelle série a recommencé au début de l’alphabet avec la particularité que toutes les nouvelles immatriculations comportaient automatiquement au moins un de ces cinq nouveaux caractères. La première immatriculation de la nouvelle série fut donc AAI-001.

Lorsque fut atteinte l’immatriculation SRW-999, dernière immatriculation avec une nouvelle lettre avant la fin SRZ-999 de l’ancienne série, la distribution reprit son cours normal (à partir de la plaque SSA-001) en incluant maintenant toutes les lettres de l’alphabet.

Remarques :

La dernière plaque de ce type fut fabriquée le vendredi 17 septembre 2010, à savoir 999-CFQ.

Depuis le 16 novembre 2010, la Belgique équipe ses véhicules de plaques d’immatriculation aux dimensions Européennes avec le drapeau Européen, selon le règlement Européen sur l’Eurobande déjà en vigueur dans l’ensemble des états membres de l’union Européenne. Celles-ci sont composées de la lettre B en bleu avec à droite de celle-ci 7 chiffres et lettres séparés par des tirets (1-AAA-001) (rouge foncé, rubis-bordeaux, type RAL 3003 (décision du Conseil des Ministres du 20 juillet 2010) sur fond blanc.

Les plaques sont disponibles, au choix, en format rectangulaire ou carré. Des plaques carrées plus petites sont fabriquées pour les deux-roues (également possible pour les autres véhicules avec accord préalable du contrôle technique).

Le modèle de numérotation est le suivant : 1 chiffre-indice + 3 lettres + 3 chiffres. L’indice a la signification suivante:

Comme précédemment, les plaques commençant par M, O, Q, TX, U, W et Z dans toutes les séries resteront réservées :

Indépendamment du système précédent, certaines séries sont réservées à l’avance selon le format de la plaque. La deuxième lettre d’une plaque ordinaire, remorque ou historique (et la première lettre après CD d’une plaque diplomatique) est ainsi:

Aux débuts du système, tout ou partie de la série 1-AYA a été fabriquée par erreur au format standard. Le lien entre format de plaque et série Y et Z semble[évasif] avoir été abandonné[réf. nécessaire] à partir de 1-EYA et 1-EZA.

Depuis février 2014, la lettre O ne figure plus dans aucune série normale, et dès mai 2014 les lettres I, M, Q et W sont exclues des séries normales.

Toutefois les lettres M,O,Q et W seront encore autorisées en indice de série (voir supra) et dans les combinaisons personnalisées.

Depuis le , une réorganisation des types de plaques est entrée en service progressivement. Ce nouveau système a été imaginé par le responsable de l’immatriculation des véhicules au sein du Cabinet du Secrétaire d’État à la Mobilité, Philippe Touwaide (Capitole), et est connu sous le nom du „plan Touwaide“ :

Le , plaque spécifique aux tracteurs agricoles commençant par la lettre G (Moniteur belge du 22 mai 2013), plaque unique qui est inversée pour les couleurs, fond rouge RAL 3020 et lettres blanches, G-LAA-001, où le G désigne la catégorie de la plaque (tracteurs) et le L leur utilisation (Landbouw/Agriculture).

Depuis le 31 mars 2014, l’indice S est attribué aux cyclomoteurs circulant à moins de 45 km/h :

Depuis le 7 octobre 2014, les indices suivants ont été mis en service progressivement :

Le 2 mai 2016, ce seront les plaques suivantes qui seront mises en service :

Après, ce seront les plaques suivantes qui seront mises en service :

Ancien format : Les premières lettres (CD) sont vertes, suivies d’un point (.) et 4 signes rouges, dans l’une des combinaisons suivantes (présentées par ordre chronologique d’émission) :

Format actuel (depuis novembre 2010) : La numérotation des plaques diplomatiques suit le modèle CD-AB123, en rubis sur fond blanc (l’usage du vert est abandonné), depuis avril 2014 tous les groupes de lettres seront séparés par des tirets : CD-AB-123

La plaque ne comporte que des chiffres, du même format qu’une plaque standard. Les voitures utilisées par le Roi ou la Reine utilisent souvent de petits chiffres (de 1 à 10). Les voitures utilisées par les autres membres de la famille royale ont deux chiffres entre 11 et 99.

Habituellement, le Roi utilise les immatriculations „1“, „2“ ou „7“ pour les déplacements officiels.

Lors des cérémonies de sa prestation de serment, le Roi Philippe a utilisé la plaque „1“ le matin sur une Mercedes 600 Pullman Landaulet, et après-midi sur une Mercedes S 350. Lors du passage en revue des troupes composant le défilé, c’était la plaque „1“ Militaire apposée sur une Iveco. Une autre Mercedes 600 Pullman, non découvrable, restée en réserve disposait de la plaque 4. Actuellement[Quand ?], la plaque 1 est apposée sur une BMW série 7.

Autres plaques de la Famille Royale[Quand ?]:

Cette plaque consiste en 1 lettre suivie par 1 à 3 chiffres.

Ce mode de numérotation n’a pas été modifié en 2010 (mais les plaques sont désormais au format européen).

La première lettre est A pour :

La première lettre est P pour :

La première lettre est E pour les présidents, membres ou services des exécutifs régionaux et communautaires.

À l’avenir des plaques au format réduit moto seront réalisées pour les cyclomoteurs et motocyclettes des Ministres et Parlementaires dans les séries A.301 et A.401 ainsi que P.801 et P.901.

Celles-ci sont constituées d’un fond de plaque blanche avec des lettres noires et un drapeau belge situé à gauche.

Les employés du quartier général de l’OTAN utilisaient anciennement une plaque rouge avec lettres blanches (SB) suivie d’un numéro. Les nouvelles plaques de tous les fonctionnaires internationaux commencent spécifiquement par 8.

Le Roi utilise en tant que commandant en chef des forces armées, la plaque militaire 1.

Les plaques de remorques commencent toujours par les lettres Q ou U. Format et couleurs ont évolué dans le temps:

Anciennes versions:

À partir du 16 novembre 2010, le format européen avec caractères rouge foncé sur fond blanc est utilisé. Comme sur les plaques standard, un chiffre-indice est ajouté en première position (devant Q ou U).

Plaques attribuées au personnel (non Belge) de l’OTAN et des autres organisations internationales. Plaques attribuées particulièrement au personnel du SHAPE partie internationale.

À partir du 16 novembre 2010, l’usage du bleu est abandonné, rubis (rouge foncé) sur blanc, un indice (8) – 3 lettres – 3 chiffres (8-AAA-001).

Le personnel des institutions de l’Union européenne situées en Belgique pouvaient demander une plaque spéciale bleu clair avec les lettres EUR sur la gauche dans un cercle d’étoiles jaunes.

À partir du 16 novembre 2010, l’usage du bleu est abandonné, le rubis (rouge foncé) sur blanc est utilisé, avec l’indice (8) – 3 lettres – 3 chiffres (8-AAA-001).

À partir du 7 octobre 2014, toutes les organisations internationales reçoivent dorénavant les mêmes plaques que les citoyens belges (indice 1), y compris lorsque la case „plaque spéciale“, qui existe toujours sur le formulaire de demande, est cochée.

Le personnel d’Eurocontrol pouvait utiliser des plaques avec de caractères bleus portant trois chiffres suivis par les lettres EURO.

À partir du 16 novembre 2010, l’usage du bleu est abandonné, rubis (rouge foncé) sur blanc, un indice (8) – 3 lettres – 3 chiffres (8-AAA-001).

Les plaques commerciales ont 3 lettres et 3 chiffres ou depuis 25 juin 2008 : 3 chiffres, 3 lettres, verts sur fond blanc. À droite figure un millésime. Il y a deux types de plaques commerciales avec des conditions d’acquisition et d’utilisation différentes : Les plaques essai commencent par ZZ (ZZA-001 ou 001-ZZA), les plaques marchand commencent par Z (ZAA-001 ou 001-ZAA).

À partir du 16 novembre 2010, l’usage du vert est conservé, un indice (1 à 7) – 3 lettres – 3 chiffres (1-ZZA-001) pour les plaques essai et (1-ZAA-001) pour les plaques marchand.

Elles peuvent passer d’un véhicule à un autre sans démarche administrative, sous certaines conditions. Ces plaques sont réservées à certains types d’entreprises (notamment liées au secteur automobile) ou services publics, leur délivrance est soumise à des quotas selon la taille de l’entreprise.

Jusqu’à il y a quelques années[Quand ?], les plaques commerciales étaient bon marché. Les concessionnaires en avaient beaucoup, et ces plaques étaient utilisées comme des plaques ordinaires par leurs amis ou relations, leur permettant de payer moins de taxes. La loi a changé, les plaques commerciales sont devenues beaucoup plus chères et la police effectue plus de contrôles. En conséquence, les abus et le nombre de plaques commerciales en circulation ont diminué.

Dans l’ancien système, il était possible de réserver un numéro de plaque personnalisé, à six ou cinq signes. En juin 2008, une telle réservation coûtait minimum 620 € pour une plaque de 6 signes. Certaines combinaisons de signes étaient interdites (sigles de partis politiques, respect des conventions liées au type d’immatriculation).

Avec le modèle européen (à partir du 16 novembre 2010) la personnalisation coûte désormais 1030 € et est précédée du chiffre 9.

Depuis le 31 mars 2014, la combinaison des plaques personnalisées a été totalement libérée :

La première plaque fabriquée et livrée fut „VI“ le mercredi 2 avril 2014. Celle-ci n’a pas nécessité de paiement car la combinaison correspondante d’une ancienne plaque personnalisée précédée de 9- était déjà prise, d’où sa rapide production.

Le site web recense le plus grand nombre de plaques d’immatriculation personnalisées selon RTL TVI et d’autres médias.

En Novembre 2015, le coût des plaques personnalisées est passé à 2000 EUR, par arrêté royal du 11/09/2015.

Voir aussi

Departamento de Huila

Das Departamento de Huila ist ein Departamento im Südwesten Kolumbiens. Es ist umgeben von den Departamentos Meta und Caquetá im Osten und von Cauca und Tolima im Westen.

Der Río Magdalena, Kolumbiens größter Strom, nimmt im Departamento Huila seinen Ausgangspunkt. Einige der größeren Städte liegen in seinem Flusstal.

Die Wirtschaft basiert auf Landwirtschaft und Rinderhaltung. Es werden Reis, Zuckerrohr, Bananen, Tabak, Kaffee und Sorghum angebaut. Die Industrie spielt eine untergeordnete Rolle und ist auf Kunsthandwerk, Keramik und Hüte spezialisiert. Huila besitzt Erdöl- und Erdgasvorkommen.

Touristisch interessant ist der Archäologie-Park San Agustín.

Die 37 Municipios stehen in der Liste der Municipios im Departamento de Huila.

Amazonas | Antioquia | Arauca | Atlántico | Bogotá – Distrito Capital | Bolívar | Boyacá | Caldas | Caquetá | Casanare | Cauca | Cesar | Chocó | Córdoba | Cundinamarca | Guainía | Guaviare | Huila | La Guajira | Magdalena | Meta | Nariño | Norte de Santander | Putumayo | Quindío | Risaralda | San Andrés und Providencia | Santander | Sucre | Tolima | Valle del Cauca | Vaupés | Vichada

Championnat des moins de 17 ans de la CONMEBOL 2007

Navigation

Le Championnat des moins de 17 ans de la CONMEBOL 2007 est la douzième édition du Championnat des moins de 17 ans de la CONMEBOL qui a eu lieu en Équateur du 4 au 25 mars 2007. Ce tournoi sert de qualification à la fois pour la Coupe du monde des moins de 17 ans, organisée en Corée du Sud durant l’été 2007 (les 4 premiers de la poule finale y seront directement qualifiés) et pour les Jeux panaméricains de Rio de Janeiro qui offre une qualification pour les 6 équipes du tour final.

Après avoir passé le premier tour de façon miraculeuse (en terminant à la 3e place et à la faveur du changement de formule pour cette édition), le Brésil remporte une fois encore la compétition, pour la 8e fois de son histoire, devant la Colombie, l’Argentine et le Pérou.

La confédération sud-américaine ne compte que 10 membres, il n’y a donc pas d’éliminatoires; toutes les sélections participent au premier tour, où elles sont réparties en 2 poules de 5 et s’y rencontrent une fois. À l’issue du premier tour, les 3 premiers de chaque poule se qualifient pour la poule finale où chaque équipe rencontre 1 fois chacun de ses adversaires. Le premier du classement final est déclaré champion d’Amérique du Sud.

Les sélections qualifiées pour la prochaine Coupe du monde sont :

Crisis Management Initiative

CMI (Crisis Management Initiative) is an independent Finnish non-governmental organisation that works to prevent and resolve conflict through informal dialogue and mediation. Nobel Peace Prize laureate and former President of Finland Martti Ahtisaari founded CMI in 2000. Since then, CMI has grown to become one of the leaders of its field. CMI has offices in Helsinki and Brussels, a presence in selected countries and is represented in the United States by the American friends of CMI.

CMI’s programme is focused on making meaningful contributions to peace processes in three regions – the Middle East and North Africa, Eurasia and Sub-Saharan Africa. A strong focus on women’s participation and gender-specific aspects of conflict is extensively integrated into all parts of CMI’s work.

CMI helps to create spaces for negotiated solutions of violent conflicts by involving all relevant actors in the pursuit of sustainable peace. CMI facilitates dialogue, mediates between conflicting sides, provides capacity-building and mediation support at all stages of conflict management and peace processes, and uses its expertise to support the broader peace building community.

CMI’s vision is based on the conviction that all conflicts can be resolved.

CMI’s work rests on the principles of impartiality, local ownership, inclusiveness, coordination and complementartity.

As a dependable conflict resolution actor that is resolutely impartial between the various interests of the conflicting parties, CMI remains independent of all external political interests.

CMI supports locally and nationally owned peace processes. Peace cannot be outsourced or imported. By ensuring local ownership, CMI paves the way for the sustainability of the conflict resolution efforts.

Achieving lasting peace requires a broad involvement with the society and the involvement of the all relevant actors in the process. Inclusiveness is one of the key foundations of CMI’s work.

Preventing and solving conflicts needs extensive and patient cooperation and coordination with other actors in the field for achieving impact for CMI’s work.

The starting point for all CMI’s work is human dignity, which rests on the legacy of CMI founder Martti Ahtisaari’s lifelong work in peace mediation. A sustainable solution to any confict must include measures for ensuring the dignity of all those affected.

Nobel Peace laureate and former president of Finland Martti Ahtisaari founded CMI in 2000. After stepping down as the President of Finland that year, Ahtisaari declined the post of United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees because he wanted to focus instead on addressing the root causes of conflicts. President Ahtisaari’s long-term vision with CMI was to contribute to as much as effectively as possible to solving violent conflict throughout the world.

The main tasks of the organisation in its early years were to assist Martti Ahtisaari in his numerous international assignments, to participate in policy discussions, and to advocate capacity-building in civilian crisis management. This led to CMI taking its own projects, at first concerning crisis management and later on expanding to peace building and conflict resolution projects.

One of CMI’s most visible assignments, the Aceh peace process began in late 2004. CMI and its chairman president Ahtisaari were asked to facilitate talks between the Government of Indonesia and the Free Aceh Movement (GAM).

In 2008 President Ahtisaari was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his leading role in bringing independence to Namibia, Sebia’s withdrawal from Kosovo, and autonomy for Aceh.

James Finley (engineer)

James Finley (1756 – 1828), aka Judge James Finley, is widely recognized as the first designer and builder of the modern suspension bridge. Born in Ireland, Finley moved to a 287-acre (1.16 km2) farm in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, near Uniontown. Elected a justice of the peace in 1784, he went on to become county commissioner in 1789, and a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives and Senate. From 1791 until his death, he was an Associate Judge for Fayette County.
His Jacob’s Creek Bridge, built in 1801 for US$600, and demolished in 1833, was the first example of a suspension bridge using wrought iron chains and with a level deck. It connected Uniontown to Greensburg, spanning 70 feet (21 metres), and was 12 feet 6 inches (3.81 m) wide.
Finley is also credited with designing and constructing a chain suspension bridge across Dunlap’s Creek in Brownsville, Pennsylvania, in 1809. In 1820, however, the bridge collapsed under a heavy snow combined with the loads from a six-horse wagon team. The bridge was replaced by the Dunlap’s Creek Bridge, the country’s first cast-iron bridge, in 1835.

Other bridges built in accord with his patent include:

Although he has been credited with designing as many as forty bridges, only twenty sites have been identified. None of Finley’s bridges survive.

Finley patented his system in 1808 and also published a paper on the principles of the deck-stiffened suspension bridge.

John K. Fairbank

John King Fairbank (May 24, 1907 – September 14, 1991), was a prominent American academic and historian of China.

Fairbank was born in Huron, South Dakota in 1907. He was educated at Sioux Falls High School, Phillips Exeter Academy, the University of Wisconsin–Madison, Harvard College, and Oxford University (Balliol). As an undergraduate, Charles Kingsley Webster, the distinguished British diplomatic historian then teaching at Harvard, advised him to choose a relatively undeveloped field of study, and suggested that since the Qing dynasty imperial archives were then being opened, China’s foreign relations would be a prudent choice (Fairbank later confessed that he then knew nothing about the state of China itself). In 1929, when he graduated from Harvard summa cum laude, he went to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar.[citation needed]

At Oxford, Fairbank began his study of the Chinese language and sought the counsel of H.B. Morse, retired from the Imperial Maritime Customs Service. On Webster’s advice, he had read Morse’s three-volume study of Qing dynasty foreign relations on the ship coming to England. Morse became his mentor. The ambitious young scholar decided to go to Beijing to do research in 1932.

In Beijing, he studied at Tsinghua University under the direction of the prominent historian Tsiang Tingfu who introduced him to the study of newly available diplomatic sources and the perspectives of Chinese scholarship which balanced the British approaches he saw at Oxford. Wilma Cannon came to China to marry Fairbank and began a career of her own in Chinese art history. He and Wilma came to know to a number of Chinese intellectuals, and became especially warm friends with Liang Sicheng, the son of the distinguished Chinese reformer Liang Qichao, and his wife, Whei-yin, whom they called Phyllis.

The Lins introduced them to Jin Yuelin, a philosopher trained at Columbia University. Through them, Fairbank wrote later, he and Wilma began to sense the Chinese problem, the „necessity to winnow the past and discriminate among things foreign, what to preserve and what to borrow…“ In 1936, Oxford awarded him a D.Phil. for his thesis, which he revised and eventually published as Trade and Diplomacy on the China Coast: The Opening of the Treaty Ports, 1842-1854 in 1953.[citation needed]

Fairbank returned to Harvard in 1936 to take up a position teaching Chinese history, Harvard’s first full-time specialist on that subject. He and Edwin O. Reischauer worked out a year long introductory survey which covered China and Japan, and later Korea and Southeast Asia. The course was known as „Rice Paddies,“ and became the basis for the influential texts, East Asia: The Great Tradition (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1960) and East Asia: The Modern Transformation (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1965).

Following the outbreak of the Pacific War in 1941, Fairbank was enlisted to work for the US government, which included service in the OSS and the Office of War Information in Chongqing, the temporary capital of Nationalist China.

When he returned to Harvard after the war, Fairbank inaugurated a master’s degree program in Area Studies, one of several major universities in the United States to do so. The Area Studies approach at Harvard was multi-disciplinary and aimed to train journalists, government officials, and others who did not want careers in academia. This broad approach, combined with Fairbank’s experience in China during the war, shaped his United States and China (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, Foreign Policy Library, 1948). This survey went through new editions in 1958 and 1970, each synthesizing scholarship in the field for students and the general public. In 1972, in preparation for Nixon’s visit, the book was read by leaders on both sides.

In the late 1940s, Fairbank was among the so-called China Hands who predicted the victory of Mao Zedong and the Chinese Communist Party and advocated establishing relations with the new government. Although Fairbank argued that relations with new China would be in the American national interest, many Americans accused the China Hands of selling out an ally and promoting the spread of Communism and Soviet influence. In 1949, Fairbank was targeted for being „soft“ on Communism, and was denied a visa to visit Japan. In 1952, he testified before the McCarran Committee, but his secure position at Harvard protected him. Ironically, many of Fairbank’s Chinese friends and colleagues who returned to China after 1949, such as Fei Xiaotong, Ch’ien Tuan-sheng, and Chen Han-seng, would later be attacked for being „pro-American“ as the Chinese Communist Party became more rigidly communist. Critics in Taiwan charged that he was a tool of the Communists.

Fairbank taught at Harvard until he retired in 1977. He published a number of both academic and non-academic works on China, many of which would reach a wide audience outside academia. He also published an expanded revision of his doctoral dissertation as Trade and Diplomacy on the China Coast in 1953. One of his students, Paul Cohen, noted that the approaches or stages in the development of China studies of the 1950s are sometimes referred to as „the Harvard ’school‘ of China studies.“

Fairbank played a major role in developing Harvard as a leading American center for East Asian studies, including establishing the Center for East Asian Research which was renamed in his honor after his retirement. He was director of the Center from 1955 through 1973.

Fairbank raised money to support fellowships for graduate students, trained influential China historians at Harvard and placed them widely in universities and colleges in the US and overseas. He welcomed and funded researchers from all over the world to spend time in Cambridge and hosted a series of conferences which brought scholars together and yielded publications, many of which Fairbank edited. He established the Harvard East Asian Series which published monographs, enabling students to publish dissertations, which was essential for achieving tenure. Fairbank and his colleagues at Harvard, Edwin O. Reischauer and Albert Craig, wrote a textbook on China and Japan, A History of East Asian Civilization. Fairbank established links to figures in government both by training journalists, government officials, and foundation executives and by giving his thoughts to the government on China policy.[citation needed]

In 1966, Fairbank and the Sinologist Denis C. Twitchett, then at Cambridge University set in motion plans for The Cambridge History of China. Originally intended to cover the entire history of China in six volumes, the project grew until it reached a projected 15 volumes. Twitchett and Fairbank divided the history, with Fairbank editing volumes on modern (post 1800) China, while Twitchett and others took responsibility for the period from the Qin to early Qing. Fairbank edited and wrote parts of volumes 10 through 15, the last of which appeared in the year after his death. Martha Henderson Coolidge and Richard Smith completed and published Fairbank’s biography of H.B. Morse.[citation needed]

During the Vietnam War era of the late 1960s, Fairbank, who had earlier been criticized as being pro-communist, came under fire from younger scholars and graduate students in the newly established Committee of Concerned Asian Scholars, which he helped to form but did not continue to participate in. These younger scholars charged that the Fairbank and other leaders of the area studies movement had helped to justify American imperialism in Asia. By founding the study of Asia in modernization theory, Fairbank and liberal scholars presented China as an irrational country which needed American tutelage. Fairbank rejected revolution and thereby condoned imperialism. A further charge was that scholars of the „Harvard school“ put forth a „radical new version“ of China’s modern history that argued imperialism „was largely beneficial in China.“ In December 1969, Howard Zinn and other members of the Radical Historians‘ Caucus tried unsuccessfully to persuade the American Historical Association to pass an anti-Vietnam War resolution. „A debacle unfolded as Harvard historian (and AHA president in 1968) John Fairbank literally wrestled the microphone from Zinn’s hands“ in what Fairbank called „our briefly-famous Struggle for the Mike“.

Fairbank finished the manuscript of his final book, China: A New History in the summer of 1991. On September 14, 1991 he delivered the manuscript to Harvard University Press, then returned home and suffered a fatal heart attack.

In a statistical overview derived from writings by and about John King Fairbank, OCLC/WorldCat encompasses roughly 600+ works in 1,500+ publications in 15 languages and 43,000+ library holdings.

Makira-Ulawa Province

Makira-Ulawa Province is one of the provinces of the Solomon Islands. The main part of the province is Makira Island. It has a population of 40,419 (2009). The capital is Kirakira.

Makira-Ulawa Province includes Makira (San Cristobal), Ulawa, Uki Ni Masi, Owaraha (Santa Ana), Owariki (Santa Catalina), Pio and others.

Makira-Ulawa people are mostly Melanesian and their traditional dances and rituals are still strongly kept, especially in the islands of Santa Ana (Owaraha), Santa Catalina (Owariki), Uki-ni-masi and Ulawa.

Makira Island, is 3090 km²: 139 km long by 40 km wide at around the centre of the island. Mountains run like a spine down the island’s center: the highest point reaches 1040 m, then falls steeply to the sea along its southern shore. Many rivers penetrate the island in roughly parallel lines every two to five kilometers. Makira has more inland swamps—and saltwater crocodiles—than any other island in the Solomon Islands. Its coast is the only part of the Solomons where the rare Olive, or Pacific Ridley, turtle is known to visit and nest.

Because Makira Island was isolated for long stretches of time during periods of high sea level, a wide variety of unique plants and animals evolved. For example, 12 of its 70 resident species of birds are endemic, as are two species of trees, both figs (Ficus cristobalensis and Ficus illiberalis). This uniqueness highlights the importance of preserving Makira’s forest habitat.

Makira is also among the most important islands in the country for birds. There are some bird watching spots on the island. At the village of Hauta, situated hundreds of metres above sea level, at the Bauro inland region an established conservation area exists. However, one requires a permission to visit, which can be acquired from the Provincial Office at Kirakira.

On Makira, six languages are spoken: Arosi, Bauro, Fagani, Kahua, Owa en Tikopia. The Bauro speakers have been considered to be the most isolated and conservative of the Makira groups.

Coordinates:

Salorino

Salorino es un municipio español, en la provincia de Cáceres, Comunidad Autónoma de Extremadura. Se encuentra en el suroeste de la provincia, al sur de la Penillanura del río Salor.

El término municipal de Salorino, de 15 705 hectáreas limita con los siguientes municipios:

El pueblo se sitúa a 42 Km de Portugal, situándose el puesto fronterizo más cercano en Valencia de Alcántara. La principal carretera del pueblo es la N-521, que une Cáceres con Portugal y que se prevé que tenga una autovía paralela en el futuro, la A-58.

La altitud del municipio se halla entre 180 y 640 msnm, y la del pueblo entre 310 y 330 msnm.

Salorino tiene un clima mediterráneo de tipo Csa (templado con verano seco y caluroso) según la clasificación climática de Köppen.

Probablemente el municipio fue habitado en la era prehistórica. Aunque no se han encontrado monumentos megalíticos, éstos se hallan repartidos por casi toda la comarca.

De la época romana hay restos en la zona, entre ellos restos de una calzada romana en los pasos de la sierra y ruinas de villas romanas. De la época musulmana, hay restos de una fortificación en el Torrico de San Pedro.

Los primeros asentamientos fijos del actual Salorino se remontan a las repoblaciones de la Reconquista en el siglo XIII. Éstos se situaron alrededor de la fuente del „Lugar“, donde surgieron posadas como la de „La Porra“. En los últimos años de siglo XV, la localidad era una zona de descanso con mesones para que parasen a descansar quienes caminaban por los caminos de la Orden de Alcántara. Dicha orden se encargó de llevar hasta el lugar a nuevos pobladores que fundaron el actual Salorino.

A finales de siglo XVI, existe plena constancia histórica de la existencia de Salorino. En 1585, las Relaciones Topográficas de los pueblos de España, hechas de orden de Felipe II describen dicha localidad. El Libro de los Millones de 1594 señala que en aquel momento formaba parte de la Tierra de Alcántara en la Provincia de Trujillo. En 1599 ya hay libros de matrimonio y bautizo.

La Guerra de Restauración portuguesa afectó gravemente a la localidad entre 1645 y 1664, con varios enfrentamientos que dieron lugar a incendios en el pueblo.

El Catastro de Ensenada de 1753 indica que la aldea pertenecía en aquel momento a la jurisdicción de Valencia de Alcántara, contando con 2050 habitantes. En 1791, la jurisdicción de Salorino estaba formada por cuatro encomiendas: Belvis de la Sierra, Benfayán, Sacristanía y Hornos, además de contar con bienes del común y mancomunidad de tierras.

A la caída del Antiguo Régimen la localidad se constituye en municipio constitucional en la región de Extremadura, desde 1834 quedó integrado en el Partido Judicial de Valencia de Alcántara. En el censo de 1842 contaba con 560 hogares y 3068 vecinos.

En 1849, Salorino es descrito detalladamente en el Diccionario geográfico-estadístico-histórico de España y sus posesiones de Ultramar dirigido por Pascual Madoz. Según este libro, el municipio tenía entonces 3076 habitantes, escuela de niños a la que iban 100, escuela de niñas a la que iban 12, cuatro grandes latifundios que representaban dos tercios de la superficie del término. Económicamente, destaca que en la época se exportaban cera, miel y pan cocido.

Durante el siglo XIX, con la desamortización fueron vendidas las encomiendas y la mayoría de terrenos del común, quedando así drásticamente disminuida la cantidad de terreno útil para la economía local, que pasó a manos privadas. Esta privatización forzó el paso del sector primario al sector secundario de muchos vecinos, instalándose en la localidad tenerías de curtir piel, molinos harineros y hornos de pan. También había en la época minería de níquel.

Los arrieros fueron importantes en el transporte en el siglo XIX. En 1876 se construyó la N-521, que mejoró la conexión entre el pueblo y la capital provincial. Las epidemias del final del siglo hubo varias epidemias que dejaron 320 muertos en el pueblo.

En 1920 tenía 2577 habitantes. En esta época destaca la existencia de una fábrica de productos de cuero: petacas, carteras, zahones.

La guerra civil también estuvo presente en Salorino con varios fusilamientos, entre ellos el de Antonio Norberto Elviro (médico natural de Salorino que había mostrado una profunda inquietud sociopolítica firmando artículos en diferentes diarios).

Los latifundios (que a principios del siglo XX comprendían el 90% de las tierras del municipio) y la pobreza de las tierras restantes facilitaron la emigración de muchos naturales de la localidad a pueblos de los alrededores en un principio y a partir de los años 50 y 60, a otras regiones y a otros países.

Hoy en día, la población activa de la localidad realiza labores agrícolas o ganaderas, en los latifundios, también existe un reducido número de empresas, de construcción, bares, tiendas, ganaderos…

Fiesta de San Ildefonso

Es el 23 de Enero. En honor a San Ildefonso, patrón de la localidad, la Asociación Cultural que lleva su nombre, organiza un Semana Cultural con múltiples actividades: Matanza Popular, concurso de Play Back, juegos infantiles, concursos culturales, actividades deportivas, teatro, ciclos de cine, charlas y conferencias, bailes, exposiciones, etc. Es la fiesta más importante del pueblo.

Quintos

El domingo de carnaval. Antiguamente corrían las cintas a caballo. En la actualidad, los jóvenes del pueblo salen pidiendo por las casas (huevos, chorizos, comida, dinero…)y luego organizan una comida para todo el pueblo.

Cruz de Mayo

Es el 3 de mayo. Actualmente se intenta recuperar el baile para los niños.

Romería de los Molinos

En el 2º domingo de mayo, se celebra esta fiesta de carácter lúdico en la rivera del mismo nombre. Consiste en pasar un día en el campo con los amigos.

Ferias y Fiestas de Agosto

Se organizan en torno a los días 21,22 y 23 de Agosto. El pueblo disfruta de varios días de fiesta, en los que se organizan actividades de diverso tipo para todas las edades (campeonatos de fútbol sala, volley-playa, verbenas,etc).

www.salorino.es

INE

The Statesmen Quartet

The Statesmen Quartet (also known as Hovie Lister and The Statesmen Quartet) were an American southern gospel music group founded in 1948 by Baptist Minister Hovie Lister. Along with the Blackwood Brothers, the Statesmen Quartet were considered the most successful and influential gospel quartet of the 1950s and 1960’s and had a wide influence on artists during that time from the gospel, country, pop, and rock and roll genre. Along with hits spanning many decades, The Statesmen Quartet had many notable successes including being the first Gospel group to receive endorsement deals. Additionally, they made television commercials, appeared on numerous radio and TV shows, and were signed to RCA Victor before launching their own record label, Skylite Records, with The Blackwood Brothers.

The Statesmen Quartet was founded in 1948 in Atlanta, Georgia by piano player Hovie Lister, a Baptist minister and convention-style piano player. Lister constructed the quartet as a hand-picked group of the best singing voices in order to secure a prime time-slot on the new WCON radio station. The initial line-up included lead singer Mosie Lister from Atlanta, Gordon Hill singing the bass vocals, Bervin Kendrick from singing the baritone, and Bobby Strickland of singing tenor. The group’s name was lifted from the title of a newsletter published by Herman Talmadge, Governor of Georgia, with Talmadge’s permission. The quartet made their debut on WCON in Atlanta in October, 1948.

After having several radio programs in the Atlanta, Georgia, area, The Statesmen „became the first Southern gospel quartet to have a nationally syndicated TV program, Singing Time in Dixie, sponsored by Nabisco.“ The group recorded 36 songs for Capitol Records from 1949 to 1953. They switched to RCA Victor in 1954, recording more than 30 albums during their years with that company. In 1968, they began recording for Skylite. Though most fans were inclined to support the group in terms of religious inspiration and/or entertainment, a 1964 profile of the group in Billboard magazine noted, „The Statesmen … are known as a complex organization to the music industry.“ In addition to the broadcasting and recording activities already mentioned, the article cited ownership of four gospel music publishing companies that „print and distribute song books and sheet music.“

In 1952, The Statesmen Quartet entered into a business partnership with The Blackwood Brothers Quartet. The „Stateswood“ team would dominate Southern Gospel music for the next two decades. First, „Cat“ Freeman was replaced by Irish tenor Denver Crumpler. In 1953, Lister’s vision of the premiere lineup came to fruition by adding Jake Hess (lead), Doy Ott (baritone), and James „Big Chief“ Wetherington (bass), with Lister on piano and master of ceremonies. During the next years, The Statesmen Quartet achieved fame as one of the premiere groups of Southern gospel music. With this lineup, The Statesmen began recording for RCA Victor and began starring in the Nabisco Hour national TV show as mentioned above. Popular songs of this period include „Get Away Jordan“ and „Happy Rhythm“. As early as 1950, The Statesmen used the phrase „Rockin‘ and rollin'“ in a song, and Hovie Lister’s frantic boogie-woogie piano, piano bench acrobatics, and hair shaken down in his eyes would have great influence on early rock and roll artists, namely Jerry Lee Lewis, who was a fan of gospel music and the Statesmen. On July 4, 1955, the Blackwood/Statesmen team traveled to Texas for an engagement that would feature several secular artists on the same program. Among them was Elvis Presley. Elvis was planning to sing his rock hits, but refrained out of respect of his gospel idols. The Statesmen exerted a powerful influence on young Elvis, who idolized and imitated Jake Hess‘ vocal styling and Wetherington’s movements and gyrations on stage. In an interview with songwriter Bill Gaither, Hess remembered seeing young Elvis coming to Statesmen shows in Tupelo when Presley was only nine or ten. Hess said that the serious young Elvis would ask him, „How do you make a record?“ or „How many suits you got?“ On the Gaither Homecoming video „Oh My Glory“, Hess recalls Presley attending Statesmen concerts and being invited up onstage to sing lead in his place on a couple of handpicked numbers. Phillip Goff, in The Blackwell Companion to Religion in America, provided a description of how The Statesmen began one live appearance. „Greeted by thunderous applause, the announcer approaches the microphone: „You’re listening to the original Wally Fowler All Night Singing, November the sixth, right here in Nashville, Tennessee, nineteen hundred fifty-nine. This is the eleventh anniversary and the greatest crowd that’s ever assembled for any program in the Ryman Auditorium is here tonight for the all night sing.“ Goff’s description related but one aspect of The Statesmen’s showmanship. Francis Edward Abernathy wrote about lasting changes that the group introduced to the world of gospel quartets: The Statesmen Quartet added flourishes which entertained new audiences — exuberant singing, arm waving, hand clapping, and electrifying performances. This was alien behavior for traditional convention quartets. But the new behavior attracted interest. The Statesmen became so popular that subsequent gospel quartets imitated their style.

In 1957, Crumpler died after seeking medical attention for what was at the time diagnosed as a heart condition, but was revealed to be diabetic shock. Cat Freeman came back briefly but was replaced by former Oklahoma police officer Roland „Rosie“ Rozell. The Rozell-Hess-Ott-Wetherington lineup recorded such classics as „Faith Unlocks The Door“ and Rozell’s signature songs „Oh What A Savior“ and „There’s Room at the Cross,“ both songs becoming gospel music mainstays for decades after. In 1963, Hess left The Statesmen to form his own quartet, Jake Hess and The Imperials. Lister recruited Jack Toney to replace Hess. Before long, Toney’s powerful voice helped The Statesmen to press on and continue with their success. Another setback occurred when Wetherington died suddenly of early heart disease on October 3, 1973, while attending the National Quartet Convention in Nashville. It was around this time that the group was losing stability on its own and more changes to the line-up were inevitable.

Later incarnations of The Statesmen would include tenors Sherrill „Shaun“ Nielson, Willie Wynn, and Johnny Cook; lead singers Roy McNeil and Jim Hill; baritones Chris Hess, Biney English and Rick Fair; and bass singers Ray Burdett, Bob Caldwell and Doug Young. Over the years, Jake Hess, Jack Toney, Doy Ott and Rosie Rozell would rejoin The Statesmen at various times, most notably a couple years after Wetherington’s death when Lister brought back Rozell, Jake Hess, and Doy Ott as „The Statesmen“ sans bass. A comical pairing of this classic Statesmen „trio“ with longtime Blackwood Brothers/Stamps Quartet bass singer J.D. Sumner at the 1977 National Quartet Convention in Nashville was the birth of the Masters V Quartet, which would include, in its classic lineup, Rosie Rozell, James Blackwood, Jake Hess, J.D. Sumner, and Hovie Lister. The Statesmen’s influence lives on in some of today’s most popular quartets, such as The Dove Brothers Quartet, and Ernie Haase and Signature Sound. Doy Ott was the first of the original group that had survived Crumpler and Wetherington to die, having suffered a cerebral hemorrhage in 1982 that left him comatose, but did not die until four years later. Rozell died in 1995 at the age of 67, Lister died on December 27, 2001, at the age of 75 due to complications of lymphoma, and Hess succumbed to a long battle with heart disease, dying on December 14, 2003.[citation needed]

The Statesmen influenced both gospel and non gospel artists alike. Elvis Presley was a fan of the group growing up and wanted to emulate them in his career and got the chance to perform with them. Jerry Lee Lewis also had a strong admiration for the group, but most notably Lister and his piano playing. „The Killer“, as Lewis was called, credited Lister and the Statesman for developing his own style in performance. Carl Perkins and Larry Gatlin also cited themselves as fans of the group, while Tammy Wynette said on numerous occasions that Tenor Denver Crumpler was her „favorite singer, ever.“ The group’s appeal to early rock and roll fans also pre-dated the „rock around the clock“ era and also had an influence on early Contemporary Christian Music.

In his book They Heard Georgia Singing, former Georgia Governor and Senator Zell Miller said that Lister and his group „more than anyone else, put style and flair into gospel music…..Hovie was first of all a minister, and he ministered with his music,“ said Sen. Miller. „But he used to say religion did not need to have a long face, and he made religion upbeat.“ Lister defended his musical style that was considered „worldly“ by many churches by retorting „If it takes shaking my hair down, beating a piano like Liberace or Piano Red to keep these young people out of beer joints or the rear seats of automobiles, I’ll do it. The devil’s got his kind of entertainment. We’ve got ours.“

The group was elected into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 1998 and the Southern Gospel Music Hall of Fame the previous year in 1997. The group permanently folded and retired in 2002.

Global Heritage Network

Global Heritage Network (GHN), established by Global Heritage Fund (GHF), was created in response to the damage and destruction facing culutral heritage sites throughout the developing world. GHN is an online multimedia platform that uses Google Earth and social networking for threat monitoring and collaborative preservation of those sites. GHN features an online community for networking and discussion of possible solutions, while critical support and software for the platform have been donated by Google, DigitalGlobe, Autodesk, Ashtech, Exelis Visual Information Solutions and ESRI.

GHN consists of an extensive database (GHN Sites) of approximately 650 globally significant sites in the developing world color-coded by threat level: Destroyed (Black), Rescue Needed (Red), At Risk (Yellow), Stable (Green). Each site contains a profile with background information, photos, documentation, maps, videos and satellite imagery. GHN’s partnership with DigitalGlobe ensures that these sites are updated frequently with recent satellite imagery.

GHN invites global conservation experts and local stakeholders to become site coordinators, which entails guiding a GHN site through a program of investigation, planning, scientific conservation, community development, and partnerships.

GHN has also incorporated a customized social network (GHN Community) that provides site-based and thematic discussion groups, composed of national governments, local communities, professional archaeologists, conservators and other concerned parties.

Lastly, the GHN library houses a collection of heritage preservation-related electronic documents including bibliographies, management plans, guidelines, case studies held in the GHN Library.